How to optimize the contents of a page is also an important factor for SEO. A well formatted content will definitely gets higher ranking. People often wants that their every page should be on top for all the keywords they have and they include all nearby keywords within the same page. No, this is incorrect. Use one keyword per page and repeat the same throughout the page. The more the keywords better will be the result. However you need to conceptualize the overall content. You should use 2-3 type of HTML content structure. You must use <h+>, <p>, <b>, <i>, <li> etc. and format them accordingly. The ranking is based on automated programs; a program can differentiate content in different tags. I found that italic and bold oriented keywords have more values than that of normal text oriented keywords. <H+> families are given less preference due to the massive misuse of their use. People often include 2-3 keywords at the top or bottom of the page. Instead you should try for normal text with simple <p>.
1. Use of H1 in a proper way. Take a look at the flowchart for proper uses of H1.
I am trying to illustrate how H1 family should be used. It is still the most prominent SEO factor but you should not include only the keywords. If this hierarchy is used you will get rank out of it.
2. Anchor Tag: The second most important factor. Try to avoid non descriptive uses of hyperlink. A Hyperlink is best understood by the words upon which we made the link. The words must correspond to the keyword to the page it is linking to. For e.g. if we have a page called baby doll then we must include baby doll in the link.
Note that you must not link to the same page. If you do so you will be penalized by google. At least point 2-3 internal linking in each page of your website. Excessive use could make your site spammy. Always use a title for your anchor. If you are using an image instead of text than you must use an alt attribute with your img tag and a title for the image.
Tips: If you make your anchor text bold or italic it will count +1 point.
For a better URL practice please take a look in our previous post Best URL Practices.
3. Text Vs HTML Ratio: Always keep in mind that you text must be greater in ratio. The text only be crawled not the html. So use text a lot instead of lots of images or Flash content. The more the text the more will be the chances of getting top rankings and be one top. However you can format your text in various HTML styles. Back linking is good but for few days or weeks but not for years. If you need persistent ranking then you must afford to invest some money getting well written and fresh content. This is one of the most important thing you must understand prior to invest and research on SEO.
4. Use div instead of tables: Tabular layout is little slower than div and when nested one inside another it becomes difficult to parse. So the better solution is to use a div layout. Complex structure can be obtained using div and css. Proper use of css and div layout also increase the text vs HTML ratio and thereby increase your Search Engine Ranking.
5. Reduce the use of frame and iframe: Frames and iframes usually show contents of different pages. This is one of the potential reason why search engines neglects the frames. Try to avoid using content of different pages. These lines are taken from google webmaster blog.”Frames can cause problems for search engines because they don’t correspond to the conceptual model of the web. In this model, one page displays only one URL. Pages that use frames or iframes display several URLs (one for each frame) within a single page. Google tries to associate framed content with the page containing the frames, but we don’t guarantee that we will.”
6. Last but not the least: Your visitors must like your content. Even if you are in top of search engines; you will unable to do business if your user do not like your content. Always keep in mind that your user must like your content and beauty of your page. You can find more on typography at samshing magazine. Please read that one.
SEO content for shopping cart application
A shopping cart application is a product oriented site and it requires more number of product images within the page and people often avoid the use of text except from description and price.